Sunday, February 26, 2012
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Saturday, February 18, 2012
1/2 cup split, skinless (yellow) Mung Dal
1 cup fresh Coconut, finely ground or 1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup Brown Sugar/Jaggery
1 Tbsp freshly ground dried Ginger (chukku)
1-2 pods Cardamom (optional)
Friday, February 17, 2012
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp Rice flour
1/4 cup Jaggery/Brown Sugar
Stevia Extract as needed
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh grated Coconut or 2-4 Tbsp dry
3-4 pods Cardamoms
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
Combine whole wheat and rice flours in a medium sized bowl.
Crush the cardamom pods slightly and gather the seeds; discard skins. Crush the seeds into a powder.
Place coconut, cardamom seeds, jaggery and salt in the carafe of a blender. Add just enough water - about 1/2 cup - to make blending possible and blend into a fairly smooth puree.
Pour the puree into the flours and mix well with a wire whisk until smooth; stir in the Stevia extract and additional water as needed to make a moderately thick but pourable batter.
Allow to rest covered for about 15 minutes to let the flours hydrate well.
Serve warm with fresh soft unsalted butter or homemade Ghee. Enjoy!!
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Saturday, February 4, 2012
1. Smile at Self in mirror
2. Sit and breathe deeply for 5 minutes
3. Think 3 good thoughts about Self (at least 3)
“You are you. Now, isn’t that pleasant?” – Dr. Seuss
“Be yourself…everyone else is taken.” – Oscar Wilde
Have a great day J
- Clear out old unhealthy habits and replace them with new healthy ones - take stock of your exercise and eating habits. "Nothing endures but change." - Heraclitus
- Discard feelings of anger and guilt- throw out old grudges; forgive yourself. "Compassion for myself is the most powerful healer of them all." - Theodore Isaac Rubin
- Squeeze in simple pleasures - invest time in enjoying nature and the beauty around us. I have found that nothing can ease my tension or worry better than a few minutes or hours spent in the garden. When I see that the tiniest amount of effort producing so much beauty, it is very satisfying beyond thinking. "Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
- Nip negative thoughts in the bud - concentrate on uplifting and optimistic thoughts. "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
- Make time for friendships - connect with friends old and new. We lost a friend not long ago. We had plans to meet and spend time together but before we could meet, she became ill and the illness progressed very quickly and claimed her life. I can see that time does not wait for us but we have to make time to do the things that are important to us.
- Invest in your spirit - allow time for daily introspection and some form of relaxation with deep breathing such as yoga and meditation. "I need to take an emotional breath, step back, and remind myself who's actually in charge of my life." - Judith Knowlton
- Burnish selflessness - volunteer in your community. Turning your attention towards others deeply enriches of your own life.